What features should a board portal include?
When you do a board portal pricing comparison, it’s important to consider what features each software offers, and make sure they correspond to your organization’s needs.
Specific needs vary from one company and industry to the next, but there are also general needs that most organizations have. Consequently, some features are a must in any board portal. When comparing board management software pricing, make sure that all options you consider include the following kinds of features:
Meeting management tools, which allow admins to:
- create and share board packs and meeting agendas
- capture meeting minutes
Document management features. These allow admins to:
- create, organize and share documents
- edit documents
- control different document versions
- store documents
Members management tools, which make it possible for admins to:
- give granular access permissions to users
Collaboration tools, which allow board members to:
- annotate documents publicly and privately
- vote on proposals
- e-sign documents
Security features. These allow users to:
- log in securely
- store documents in a secure server
Once you have found the board software pricing range that best suits your company, and made sure that your preferred options include all the features above, you can move on to the next stage of the comparison.
Hidden costs in your board portal price comparison
When you compare board portal costs, keep in mind that not all costs are upfront. Adopting a new board management software means all users will spend extra time and effort learning how to use it. So if you want to minimize board portal cost, you can do so by paying attention to the following aspects:
- ease of setup — how long will it take for your board portal to be up and running?
- training needs — will users need special training to use the software, or is the platform intuitive and user-friendly?
- support quality — how is the support rated? If you have an issue with the software, does the support team respond immediately?
- clear pricing — does the plan you choose cover all your company’s needs, or will you need to pay more for extra storage space or more user permissions?
Be sure to keep all these aspects in mind when considering board management software costs.
Is it worth saving money on a board management software service?
Meeting management software prices range from thousands of dollars a year to entirely free. But though using freeboard management software is tempting, it will come with other costs: reduced efficiency and security.
Efficiency is reduced because freeboard management software is not as comprehensive and intuitive as the software you pay for. Interfaces are simplistic, so it’s harder to organize and highlight information in a way that helps board members go straight to what matters. Also, login procedures can be time-consuming and off-putting.
Free meeting management software is also less secure, so you have no guarantee that your company data is safe.
On the other hand, board software price is always different — depending on their feature set and other factors — so there are a range of options for you to choose from. You can take into account your company’s characteristics and find a board portal service that fits your specific needs as well as your budget.
Lastly, keep in mind that simply by using a board portal you are already saving resources. Administrators, as well as board members, will spend less time sharing, reading, and updating information, and you will save money previously spent in printing, binding, and mailing documents.